Say something.

Monday, March 5, 2012

Surprise, surprise!

A while back, last year in April to be exact, Mrs. Mendez had a poster on her podium talking about national poetry month. I thought it looked really cool so I went online and sent in my information to get a free poster in the mail. Well...I never got a poster. Turns out they had ran out so I was out of luck.

I was in my room when my mom called me telling me I had gotten something in the mail: it was from the National Poetry Month people. They sent me a poster from this year's poem and I love it. It's called "Our Valley" by Philip Levine. He talks about reality, how we think that everything we see is ours, including the the ocean, the trees, the Earth. But it's not.

"...even if “the mountains […] dissolve in dust” and the “wind dies” those are only moments stitched into a blanket called “our life” (lines 23, 14, 24)."

"...wait for the wind, catch a scent of salt, call it our life."